Home     About     Recipes     Garden

Friday, November 6, 2009

My new favorite sweetener


I'm not a fan of white refined sugar, but I've never been a fan of using chemical sweeteners for anything but iced tea. They don't do well in baking, not to mention the fact that it's fake. We use honey when we can, but it still has a lot of calories.

I decided a couple weeks ago to try something I've heard a lot about- agave nectar. It comes from a plant similar to an aloe vera plant. Great flavor, sweet, and about the same cost as honey. Best part is that it is a low-glycemic food, so it doesn't spike your blood sugar.

So far I've baked with it, used it in salad dressings, substituted it for maple syrup, and I have liked it every time! I will be experimenting with it more and will share more ideas soon.

1 comments:

McVal said...

Please let me know how it works out with different recipes. My MIL brought some back from AZ one year and it still sits unopened in the cupboard. She didn't know what to do with it and neither do I...

Murad Skin Care