Home     About     Recipes     Garden

Sunday, April 26, 2009

My mom's awesome cinnamon biscuits

Comfort food. Good, simple enjoyable food. This is one of those recipes my mom made for me growing up, and now I make for the boys. I hope someday they will make them for their children.

Bake a can of biscuits according to the instructions (or make your own--great both ways, but the can is certainly quicker). I like to do this the night before I make these for breakfast, or if I'm making a bunch for dinner, this is how I can use the leftover the next day. There's something about the texture of these that is better if they are from the day before.

After baking, split the biscuits in half and butter each half evenly.

Now you get to mix up your sugar and cinnamon mixture. I like to use about a 1/2 cup of white sugar, along with 2 different cinnamon varieties. The Vietmanese cinnamon is more pungent, we call it "gum cinnamon" because it reminds us of Big Red gum. I mix it with a milder Chinese variety cinnamon. If you weren't aware there were "varieties", use what you have. They will still be awesome. If you love cinnamon though, I highly recommend you check out Penzey's. They will open you up to all kinds of varieties that offer some true differences in your dishes.

Aim for about 2 tablespoons of cinnamon-more if you like lots of cinnamon. Back it off if you like less.
Once your mixture is just right, sprinkle the cinnamon sugar evenly over your biscuits.
Turn on your broiler, and when hot, place pan under broiler. Watch closely. They are done when the mixture is bubbly and brown and has formed a crust over the top of the biscuits.
Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly and serve. I think they go perfectly with sausage links. That's just me.
There are no leftovers. Ever. So make sure you get as many buttery, crunchy, sweet and slightly spicy goodies as you want while the going is good. I had 3. I mean 5. Yum!

Linked to The Grocery Cart Challenge's Recipe Swap. Some wonderful, inexpensive recipes available there!

0 comments:

Murad Skin Care