Home     About     Recipes     Garden

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Menu Plan Monday and Breakfast Stockup


Well, so much for the constructive day I had planned for today. Think I'm coming down with hubby's stomach bug that he suffered over Christmas. Should make the next couple of days interesting to say the least!

I'm still going to list out what I want to accomplish today. If it doesn't happen today, I'll get it done throughout the week. My big project is Breakfast Stock-Up for the freezer. It's nice when I can give Jonathan lots of easy options for the boys in the morning, and all he has to do is grab, warm up, and go. This week I'm making:

Cinnamon Muffins
Scrambled Egg and Cheese Tortilla Wrap Ups
Pancakes
Granola Bars

If you've got a favorite breakfast recipe that is great for making ahead of time, please share it in the comments section!

On with the week's menu plan. We have a couple of repeats on the menu this week, as we were gone part of last week, and when I got back I was craving different things based on what we ate in St. Louis! ;) I'm including tonight's menu as well, since I changed it from last week. Seems like a couple of my recipes are influenced by the gifts of Penzey's Spices I got....note the glut of cinnamon dishes---have this awesome Vietmanese Cinnamon to try out! I will also be using my adobo seasoning this week--I used it Friday night in a batch of southwestern chicken soup and it was dee-lish!

Best part of this week is that even with steak one night, the overall plan Sunday to Sunday is still under $35. I'm really finding that popping leftover staples in the freezer makes a BIG difference!

12/28 Sunday
oven baked chicken drumsticks $2.40
broccoli w/ cheese sauce 1.00
cinnamon brown sugar glazed carrots .50
$3.90

12/29 Monday
tomato soup using my home canned tomatoes $1.10
grilled cheese sandwiches 1.20
grapes .50
$2.80

2 cans diced tomatoes
1 cup chicken broth .20
2 stalks of celery, chopped .10
2 carrots, sliced .10
2 cloves garlic .10
1 onion, chopped .15
2T. butter .15
1/2T dried basil
3oz. cream cheese .30
sauté onions, garlic, carrots and celery in butter until tender. Add tomatoes, basil and broth. Simmer for 15 minutes. Place vegetable mixture in blender, food processor or food mill. Puree until smooth. Return to stove. Add cream cheese and stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper


12/30 Tuesday
Skillet nachos w/ shredded chicken from freezer $2.10
Tortilla chips .50
Fruit cocktail .85
$3.45

12/31 New Years Eve
fish sticks and fries for boys $1.50

1/1 Thursday
sirloin steak 8.00
asparagus 1.50
spinach salad 1.00
$10.50

1/2/09 Friday
creamy chicken enchiladas using shredded chicken from freezer $3.00
corn .40
$3.40

1/3 Saturday
beef and vegetable soup using leftover steak $1.50 ( I have leftover stock, veggies and tomatoes in freezer that help bring the cost down on this)
cornbread .60
$2.10

1/4/09 Sunday
brats in buns with sautéed onions $3.00
slow cooker baked beans (half this recipe)1.00
salad $1.00
$5.00

If you liked this plan, you should check out Menu Plan Monday! You can see more than 300 other meal plans with recipes, links, and special dietary restrictions at http://orgjunkie.com

3 comments:

Fairion said...

yummmm the tomato soup sounds lovely. I may just have to try that.

n*stitches said...

Last Christmas we received a wafflemaker. I like to make a big batch, then freeze (separate with piece of wax or parchment paper). Take them out, zap in teh microwave for 30 second then toast in the toster. Perfect everytime and lots cheaper than store bought!

Michelle said...

great idea! I have been thinking about investing in one. Maybe that can be my birthday request in March!

Murad Skin Care