Home     About     Recipes     Garden

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Preserving the garden's bounty

Hubby and the boys have spent the day at the pool today. Has been just lovely for me, because I've finally been able to tackle some projects I had been putting off this week. First up, doing something with the oodles and oodles of jalapenos I had. I canned a batch of sliced jalapenos for nachos, etc. These tend to go pretty quickly around here, between hubby and our neighbor across the street. I also tried my hand at a batch of jalapeno jelly. You can use this to glaze meats when grilling, or serve over cream cheese with crackers. Really excited to sample how this turned out!
I'm also starting the project of drying the herbs from the garden. Rosemary, thyme, marjoram and oregano will all be dried and jarred. I hope to create some herb blends to give as Christmas gifts.

This week should bring another batch of pickles, and perhaps a batch of tomato sauce.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Michelle: Congratulations! It's nice to have time to get things done sometimes. I got corn frozen this weekend, but no canning. Need to put some green beans up. I'm interested in how you canned your jalapenos. This will be my first year and I'm wanting to can some and give them to my son-in-laws. I was thinking about the jelly too. I think I'll try canning some peach/jalapeno jelly and see how that is on cream cheese!

Cheryl

JodieMo said...

I am so jealous of your garden. One day I will have one and I will be canning my harvest bounty instead of someone else's. Everything looks great! I would love some of those canned jalapeños! You have to send me the info for it! :)

Murad Skin Care