Home     About     Recipes     Garden

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Gotta Love Chili

I realized today that I don't think I've made the exact same chili recipe twice. I play with it a little bit every time to fit my mood. I combined my day of cooking and freezing beans with making a batch of chili that I'll use for the next couple weeks of meals in my plan. So the variety of beans in today's batch is wider than usual- pinto, black beans, garbanzos and lentils. I usually add kidney beans, but left them out today. This is a rough estimate recipe, because I was really throwing stuff together:

1/2 red onion, chopped .15
1/4 cup diced red pepper .15
1T olive oil
1/2 lb. ground beef .90
5 cups of beans, cooked or canned, any variety you choose .80
1/2 can tomato juice .50
1 can tomato sauce .30
1 can diced tomatoes .45
3 beef boullion cubes
1 chipotle season cube (Knorr makes these)
3T chili powder
2T cumin
1T onion powder
1T garlic pepper
1/2t salt
1T sugar
1t Penzey's adobo seasoning (.30 for spices)
2 cups water

Saute onions and peppers in olive oil in dutch oven. Add meat, brown. Add beans, juice, sauce, tomatoes, water and all spices. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours.

This whole batch comes to $3.55 and will be used in at least 3 meals, for a grand total cost of $1.20 per meal.

0 comments:

Murad Skin Care